
In Barles the first church was located at a place called ''the castle'', it was dedicated to Notre Dame and was located in a castrum built in the 13th century.
Description
It will fall into ruin and the parishioners will have to retreat to the chapel of St Pierre.
This one, mentioned in 1351 with a chaplain, was called a parish church in 1677 and the priest of Notre Dame also carried out his curial duties there because "his church is in ruins".
It is likely that this church predates that of the castrum. In an open, unfortified setting, it may have been founded during the 11th century and perhaps during the Carolingian period. It is surrounded by the cemetery. The bishop visited it in 1683 and described the painting on the high altar depicting a crucifixion. In the Rosary Chapel, he noticed a painting with the Virgin surrounded by Saint Dominic, Saint Catherine of Siena, and the fifteen mysteries. The church lost its parish status when a new church was built in the village in 1853.
Rates / opening
Prices
Free.